Breast reduction is a plastic surgery also called reduction mammaplasty to that reduces the size and weight of large, heavy breasts, helping to create a more aesthetically pleasing breast contour that is better proportioned to a patient’s body.
Breast reduction surgery (reduction mammaplasty) is done in a hospital or surgical center, typically with general anesthesia. The surgery usually takes 3 to 5 hours. An overnight stay is not usually required.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, doctors performed 114,470 breast reduction surgeries in women in 2014 alone. The results are often positive. Heavy breasts can put increased stress on your neck, back, and shoulders, which can make it hard to even walk for long periods of time, let alone run on a treadmill. Due to the physical constraints, women with abnormally large breasts find it difficult to exercise or play sports and may struggle to maintain a normal weight. But one 2012 study in the journal Annals of Plastic Surgery found that when people who are motivated to work out get a breast reduction, they see an increase in their physical activity levels after the operation. We should also point out that many times, a woman’s bra size isn’t consistent with her weight.
Deciding on Breast Reduction Surgery (Reduction Mammaplasty)
- -You may be good candidate wearing a bra is uncomfortable due to straps cutting in to your shoulders or wires breaking, etc.
- -Your breasts exceed large C, D, DD, E or even larger sized breasts
- -You have frequent back, neck and shoulder pain directly associated with carrying the extra weight of your breasts.
- -You dislike the look of your extra large breasts and feel self-conscious.
- -Your breasts are not in proportion to your body frame.
- -The weight has caused decreased elasticity, sagging or pendulous breasts.
- -One of your breasts is noticeably bigger than the other Physical activities such as exercise, work, lifting or caring for children is burdensome or restrictive due to the weight and size of your breasts.
What Are The Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery (Reduction Mammaplasty) ?
- -Your breast will be lifted and firmer, helping you look more youthful
- -Large nipples can be reduced during the same procedure, helping you look better in and out of clothing
- -In one study of 133 women, 93% reported a decrease in symptoms.
- -In another survey of 185 women, 97% reported improvement in back, shoulder and neck pain, 95% said they were happy or very happy with the results of surgery, and 98% said they would recommend it to others.
- -After about 2-3 months, your final results will be more or less in place and you can shop for new bras with confidence. However, you may notice subtle changes for the first 6 to 12 months.